It is eye-opening to see the extent of people affected by mental health issues in our nation. One in five UK adults have felt shame because of their body image last year and over a third have been anxious or depressed by how they look. And mental health issues affect one in ten children and young people. We are bombarded daily with images and messages online and around us, it’ s very difficult to not be affected!
Identity and body image are massive issues in our society today and when you have no relationship with Christ it’ s hard to know who you are and who’ s you are! With what is truth slowly being eroded from society, there are so many questions and people don’ t know where to turn so they look to what’ s around them to shape them instead of knowing their creator who made each one of us personally for his pleasure and his purpose.
As Mental Health Awareness week starts this week, we want to pray for those affected by mental health and body image, particularly in young people. Mental health disorders are on the rise among children with one in eight people under the age of 19 are affected.
You may know someone affected by these issues, or it may affect you. This week, let’ s join together and pray for victory and healing for those dealing with these issues.
Here are some scriptures to declare:
- For you formed my inward parts; ?you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14
- God not only loves you very much but also has put His hand on you for something special.1 Thessalonians 1:4
- So since we find ourselves fashioned into all these excellently formed and marvelously functioning parts in Christ’ s body, let’ s just go ahead and be what we were made to be, without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves with each other, or trying to be something we aren’ t. Romans 12:6
- God created human beings. He created them godlike, reflecting God’ s nature. Genesis 1:27
- For we are God’ s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10
We are God’ s masterpiece. We are His priceless creation and God doesn’ t make mistakes.
You are a masterpiece. You are beautiful. You were created for a purpose. God loves you. Once we know and understand these truths, we understand the true reflection of who we are. Now embrace it!
Find out more about Mental Health Awareness Week. The theme this year is body image.